Two months ago, a friend of mine introduced me to the Netflix show Stranger Things. Now, I'm not one to binge-watch things very often, but this show was awesome! It reminded me of a cross between the 80's movie The Goonies, E.T., and The X-Files.
As a child of the 80s, this show gave me so much nostalgia. I watched all of the episodes in two days, and cannot wait for the next season to come out.
It is about a group of boys whose friend goes missing in the woods late one night. This group of kids go on an all-out search to find their friend. As they search, they discover strange thing after strange thing, including a girl with telekinetic powers, a lab conducting experiments, monsters, and so much more.
I don't want to give the plot away, so you'll just have to watch it on your own. It is so good!
The reason I bring this up, is because Stranger Things parallels so much stuff in the Bible. The Bible is full of Stranger Things stories. There are so many weird tales in the Scriptures, and many times, faith feels like you're walking through a dark forest on a foggy night.
As I watched this show, I saw my own faith journey:
- I frantically try to search for and find my lost friends and get them safely back to God.
- I've felt the pain and confusion of losing my way in a forest of crazy circumstances.
- I have seen monstrous things destroy people's lives.
- I have discovered the spiritual-parallel world of the upside down, and how it can attack us.
- I have celebrated when the lost are found and brought home safe in Christ.
There are so many great parallels between Stranger Things and the strange life of faith!
So, for the next two weeks at The Crossing, we are going to talk about embracing the strange things God calls us to, and living a life of faith even in the middle of scary circumstances. God calls us to walk by faith and not by sight. It should be an interesting two weeks!!